With temperatures in the double digits (finally), the SUPGirlz paddling season officially begins! We'll kick things off with our annual Opening Day BBQ, where you can meet our SUPGirlz crew and chat about what's new this year (like our website if you haven't already noticed ;-), meet other friendly stand-up paddleboarders, and most importantly, get stoked for all the on-water SUP fun to come this summer!
Whether you're totally new to stand up paddleboarding or you're a SUP-er extraordinaire, here are five goals we often hear about (and how we can help)!
1. I want to learn how to stand up paddleboard.
Take one (or some) Intro to SUP sessions as we'll cover all the basics including safety, paddling techniques and gear! This class is encouraged for first-timers and beginners. Our goal here is to empower you to get out there again and again!
2. I want to get out more this year. Check out one of the many social paddles! From sunrise to savasanas (yes, yoga on SUPs), we've got a class for you. Check out our Classes & Rentals section. We also host Special Events like SUP with your Pup and International Surfing Day Celebrations!
Our 3-hour Adventure Paddles to one of the most scenic places in Toronto is also a popular SUP session.
3. I want to improve my stroke. Take a private one-on-one training session. Whether you are working towards doing your first race (like the Thursday Night SUP races at the Toronto Windsurfing Club) or a bigger goal like the Niagara 2 Toronto 32-Mile Paddleboard Race. SUPGirlz founder, Janna Van Hoof has coached and managed paddlers qualifying for International Surfing Association (ISA) competitions including the upcoming 2019 Pan American Games.
Our SUP Surf & Race program will help expand your basic paddling techniques to be ready for different situations (when there's a race element) or water conditions (like waves! Yay!)
4. I love SUP and want to help spread the word.
Consider introducing others to one of the most popular watersports in the world by becoming a certified SUP instructor! We offer ISA SUP Teacher Certification, an internationally recognized accreditation for Surf and SUP Coaches and Instructors.
5. SUP has changed my life and I want to give back to the community.
Whether this is going to be your first year on a stand up paddleboard or your 10th year - here are some of our favourite SUP events that you can take part in as a participant, volunteer or donor.
Lake Surfistas - a Canadian grassroots movement to bring together women of all abilities to celebrate surf and SUP on the Great Lakes, culminating in one of the biggest all-women paddling weekends in October.
Paddle 4 The Cure - hosted by Blu Wave SUP, this is a fun paddle parade with races and awards for best dressed, all in support of the Canadian Cancer Society.
SUP4MS - hosted by Surf Ontario, SUP4MS is a 10k paddling event to raise funds for multiple sclerosis, an unpredictable illness that affects vision, balance, memory and mobility.
Got ideas to host a beach clean-up or any other events? Give us a shout as we're always open to new ideas.
Looking for more SUP inspiration? Come hang with us at our BBQ this weekend! Our crew will be on-site to answer any SUP board, gear, or adventure-related questions.
Got another goal not mentioned here? Let us know in the comment section below and we'll be happy to chat more about SUP with you!